Tuesday, February 22, 2005

selling out?

Often times on TV these days, you'll see a commercial with a classic song playing in the background. I picture the AT&T cellular plan commercial where this guy is driving cross country to be with his girlfriend, and The Band's "The Weight" is playing in the background. When I saw this, I was surprised because this isn't a really popular song, but its always been one of my favorites. My second feeling was, this sucks, someone from the Band sold out and let the AT&T people use this classic song on a commercial. The more you watch TV, the more you notice this phenomenon. I've seen commercials with songs by The Who, the Clash and Iggy Pop, all early figures on the punk scene, whose politics and personalities definitely wouldn't allow them to put their songs on TV commercials. This raised the question in my mind, would these artists support their music being on commercials (I really don't think so) or does someone else own the rights to these songs despite their writing credits (like Michael Jackson with all Lennon/McCartney songs). Honestly, I don't know the answer to this dilemma, but I'm posing the question of whether or not these artists sold out their songs for TV commercials. I really hope that's not the case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home