Tuesday, February 08, 2005

No wardrobe malfunctions.

Normally, I like to write about music in the context of album reviews, but following the halftime show during this year's SuperBowl, I gotta write about Paul McCartney. Paul's over 60 now and he still puts on awesome shows. This was definitely the best halftime show I've seen in a long time(wardrobe malfunctions excluded).
Paul's choice of songs was great for a large crowd, and oddly enough, he played some Beatles songs. Mostly, solo artists who used to play in bands shy away from playing their collaborations. This wasn't the case McCartney. He played three Beatles songs; "Drive My Car," "Get Back," and "Hey Jude". All awesome cuts. The crowd definitely responded to his playing and it was cool to see a show with no distractions, just music and serious talent. Paul played his bass on several songs then switched to the piano twice. I thought this was great. Before the SuperBowl, people were saying that they got the least talented Beatle to perform and that the show would be terrible. McCartney dissapointed his critics. Paul played four songs, and the third of his four, "Live and Let Die" really got the crowd involved. This was an awesome choice of song to play to a stadium. Another song that got the crowd involved was "Hey Jude" with the NA NA NAs. He couldn't have closed the performance any better.
Watching Paul perform by himself made me think of how sweet a Beatles' show would have been. We got the next best thing. His musical range and ability put any music coming out today to shame, and instead of catering to his artistic ideals, he gave the crowd what they wanted. Not bad for the least talented Beatle.

1 Comments:

Blogger Danie said...

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the half-time show this year. Don't get me wrong, Paul McCartney is very talented and put on a good show, but I just didn't think it was really appropriate for the superbowl. When i think of football, i think of something me upbeat and kinda crazy. I also thought that there should have been some guest appearances to mix it up a little bit. I love the superbowl shows that are just crazy and random, like aerosmith belting out a tune, then Britney Spears running out on stage to join...its not everyday that you get to see a combo like that.
2/9/05

February 9, 2005 at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home