Thursday, February 24, 2005

Kind of Old School.

Honestly, I don't listen to much current music unless its some rap, or one of the few new bands I follow. One of these modern bands that I started listening to a few years ago was The Strokes. I heard them when they came out with "Last Nite", which I thought was a great song. It interested me, so I picked up their first album and loved it, even saw them live. Their sound is unlike any other band out right now, although they are highly copied. I'd say their music is like a lot of Velvet Underground stuff, with an R&B spin. They have pretty simple instrumentation, but the music sounds great.
I got their latest album a few months ago and I liked it as much as the first one. Their music experiments with the 80s punk/new wave sound on this album, which honestly I'm not a huge fan of, but liked this alot. The music on the album ranges from the use of synthesizers and keyboards, to guitar and bass centered sounds. One song on the record, one of my favortie, called "Automatic Stop" has serious reggae influence and a good beat. My favorite song on the album though is "Under Control". This song sounds like it came straight out of the 50s and is a straight-forward, old fashioned R&B sound. This refernce I'm using is pretty outdated, but the song sounds like Sam Cooke R&B. I tend to like bands with a lot of range, but with their own distinct sound. The Strokes are a band who are unashamed to admit their unfluences, but definitely pave new ground with their unique, and highly immitated sound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home