Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Not just for Beatles' fans


With some of my few remaining dollars from Christmas, I bought The Beatles' "Rubber Soul". I'd heard it was a great album many times before, usually during arguements with my friends' dads about what qualifies good music.
Honestly, I don't really have to be convinced that The Beatles are an incredible band. I've been a fan for a few years now and continue to try to find their material which I haven't heard yet. "Rubber Soul" was an album I'm surprised I'm just finding.
"Rubber Soul" is a stellar album from beginning to end. There's familiar songs on it like "Nowhere Man," "In My Life," and "Drive My Car" which can all be heard on the radio , but even the songs on the album that aren't as recognizable are extremely good. There isn't a weak song on the album and the range is amazing. Some songs are polished, with precise piano lines, and some songs are ragged and have a folk feel. The song, "Girl," even incorporates a Mediterranean feel, which is pretty cool and different. Apparently this album has had serious influence on many artists and you can also see the Beatles' influences here as well. Some of the songs have a real Bob Dylan feel, as well as classical sounds
I've heard it said that "Rubber Soul" could be the greatest album of all time. For the reasons stated above, I definitely think it is a possibility. I found an album I can definitely listen to many times, and at the moment this is my favorite piece of music.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kori said...

Due to my own personal love for music, I also have listened to numerous people tell me about how I should listen to bands such as the Beatles. Needless to say, albums like "A Hard Day's Night" were pushed upon me.
Now I don't mean to say that I don't enjoy the Beatles, but I don't like to hear people toss out album titles for me to purchase without an actual reason behind it.
I think that you supported your opinion well. And although, I haven't heard or attempted to listen to "Rubber Soul" yet, I intend to find it.
Bands like the Beatles will always be timeless, and I believe that is due in part to those who motivate others to listen to and appreciate their music.

January 12, 2005 at 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home